Osage

carolyn quintero cqcq at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 22 19:03:11 UTC 2002

In Osage, walu's^ka is 'bug' or any insect.
WahkoN'taki  is 'doctor', 'minister' (although there are alternative terms
for both).  What about a derivation--off the top of my head-- from 'talks
to god' wahkoN'ta ki i'e, with the dative ki [god+dative+speak]  This
occured to me as I looked at another version of 'preacher' which is
wahko'Nta i'e odha'ke 'god-speak-tell'.
Carolyn

Message text written by INTERNET:siouan at lists.colorado.edu

WakkaNdagi 'watermonster' in Omaha.  (Which I think is 'wizard' in Kaw.)
But OP wagdhishka (it would probably be walus^ka in Osage) is the cover
term for the creature classification including bugs, snakes, lizzards,
worms. etc.  What Bob calls 'the creepy-crawlies'.  Dakotan wablus^ka,
wamdus^ka, etc., doesn't correspond regularly.  OP suggests *wakrus^ka,
while Dakotan suggests *waprus^ka.

WakkaNdagi is interesting because it seems to be connected to WakkaNda
'god', which leaves over the element gi, which strikes me as a good match
for Dakotan ki(N) 'the', though whether as a loan word or a fossil I
couldn't say.  We need all the help we can get with the articles, however.
<