postural verbs, verbs of motion

rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu
Wed Jan 23 01:30:32 UTC 2002

> The expression 'the other way' is interesting in that it uses i'ma which
is
>  'or'; 'which of two':

> i'mahtaha, where htaha is 'toward' or 'along a path toward' .

> i'mahtaha madhiN'  =  'go the other way'

I think John mentioned aN'ma in OP, which seems to
be used in the sense of 'the other person', or
aN'ma ... aN'ma, the one ... the other.

> In Osage, 'another' is e'z^i wiN [this/that+not a].
>  I've also found s^i e'z^i wiN 'another one' in which s^i 'again'
appears.
> wiN is the indefinite article, based on the numeral 'one'  -  wiN'xce.

> And 'others' as in ' ..the others who are sick' is
>  e'z^is^ki  hu'heka
> in which e'z^i 'other' s^ki 'also' and hu'heka 'sick'

In OP (Dorsey at least), we have a'z^i, meaning 'other'
in the sense of 'different' or 'foreign'.  I'm puzzled
by the OP a- / OS e- difference here.  In other cases,
OP uses e- to mean this/that.

Rory