Monsters and the like

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 15:33:08 UTC 2002

There are cases of monsters or ghouls or the like originating in
actual historical human characters.  In Persian there is  a word -
landahour- used to refer to something big and frightening, which
originates, I am told, in a bandit of that name who terrorized parts
of south west Persia,though I don't know when exactly.  The
character is not generally known however in Persian folklore.

Bruce

On 22 Jan 2002, at 20:56, David Costa wrote:

> Well. *I* don't consider it a disaster that we have Algonquians in the Ohio
> River Valley. :-)
>
> The Dhegihans probably just wanted out to get away from the alligators.
>
> Dave
>

> > we have an influx of Algonquians from the north into the Ohio Valley. The
> > Dhegihans and Chiweres in this region are defeated, and many are forced to
> > flee for their lives, down the Ohio River and across the Mississippi.  The
> > crossing is a confused mess, and the Dhegihan refugees break into two groups
> > here, one moving south to become the Quapaws, and the other wandering
> > northwest to become the Omahas.  The immigrant Algonquians know the Ohio as
> > the River of the Dhegihans, this specific historic event is remembered by the
> > Omaha in a much attenuated and garbled form for hundreds of years after the
> > disaster,

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies
SOAS