Dhegiha prehistory, cont.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Jan 27 17:57:55 UTC 2002

>I haven't seen it in Dorsey either, but it is
mentioned in a couple of spots at least in
Fletcher and La Flesche, "The Omaha Tribe".
It does use /khe/.  On page 94, it is listed
near the end of several pages of stream names
as

  Uha'i ke.....The river down which they   Ohio river.
                 came.

That's interesting.  It's hard to tell just from that whether
it's a loan from English "Ohio" or derived from */uha-bi khe/
'they followed it - the.horizontal.inanimate'.  And if the latter,
it's hard to know if it's connection to the Ohio R. is a folk
reanalysis or if it dates back.

> When you say "By the Sacred Legend...", are you referring to
> some particular document?

>Fletcher and La Flesche, chapter II, has a series
of anotated extracts from what they call the
'Sacred Legend'. I don't
know where or if the full Legend exists written
down today, but I suppose the Peabody Museum
would be the place to start looking.

Yeah, I suppose so.  I'm familiar with the passages in F&LF, but
of course would like to see the original if it exists somewhere.

Thanks for the comments.