Water monsters

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 27 22:38:02 UTC 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> Crow historical phonology is pretty hazy to me.  Morphologically, I guess,
> in my naivete, I'd expect the prefix /bi-/ in Crow.  Does this ever exhibit
> vowel harmony and come out /bu-/ ?

In the *r-stems (d/l stems in terms of Crow phonology and the practical
orthography), the first person is bulu- and the second dilu- for
du-instrumentals (cf. Dakotan yu-, OP dhi-), so it looks like the harmony
is at least in part with the preceding consonant.  But, there is probably
some additional complication involved in the second person of the
du-instrumentals, and I think harmony with the vowel following d is usual.
My files remain chaotic and I can't quickly locate any of the summaries
Randy has prepared on the subject!