Siouan References in Reprint (Woccon & Tutelo)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 11 15:23:42 UTC 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> There's very little substance to these reprints for the outrageous prices
> they charge.  Xeroxing the original will cost less than a tenth the price in
> most instances.

This is certainly true - I wouldn't recommend the series as an economy
move - but I've been meaning to point out that xeroxing works better for
the individual scholar than a library.  I believe this series is primarily
aimed at libraries.  And I've actually worn out a few of my xeroxes over
the years.  Hale's Tutelo is tending toward that, which is why I was
interested in the reprint copy.  In fact, I've even worn out both a xerox
and an original of LaFlesche's Osage Dictionary - the BAE paper binding,
not the deluxe reprint of a few years back that I've seen at the CU
library.  Worn out doesn't mean unusable, but when it gets to where you
need a bag or a folder to keep the pages collected, I'd call it worn out.

A point in regard to Lawler's Woccon is that I'm not sure if it is readily
available - I suppose in earlier reprints! - to be xeroxed.  I believe
Carter says he reproduces the whole list, but I was curious to see the
original as a whole.