Osage

TOM LEONARD tleonard at prodigy.net
Fri Jan 18 19:52:36 UTC 2002

Thought I might chime in here regarding 'waz^az^e'.

Several elderly Poncas have told me the word 'waz^az^e' comes from we'sa,
the Ponca word for snake. I've recorded this several different times over
the last 25 years from several different Ponca sources.

It's interesting to note most of the individual and family names in the
Ponca Waz^az^e Clan, both in Ponca and translated into English surnames,
generally have something to do with 'snake' (e.g. "Little Snake" or
"Snake").

Regards,
Tom Leonard