Helbrecht Paper: Terminology 'modal prefix'

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Mon Jul 8 16:08:57 UTC 2002

I always thought of this as "voice" rather than "mode".
To me, voice is what the more current notion of
"valence" is all about.  I'm surprised at the 'to eat'
and 'to eat the food' pair, since I'd have expected
sort of the reverse meanings.  The verb 'eat'
ordinarily implies 'eat SOMEthing', so I'd expect
waruuc (or waaruc or whatever it is) to just mean
something like 'to go around eating' -- the wa- ought
to take away the object.  My mistake I guess.  Are you
sure there's only one wa-?  As usual I suspect
homophony here.

Bob