Helbrecht Paper: Terminology 'modal prefix'

Ardis R Eschenberg are2 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Jul 9 02:48:33 UTC 2002

Ok, I admit that I don't have the article (we just moved and if I got it
before moving, Rob packed it (where?!!!) or it just hasn't been forwarded
yet) but I think of wa and non-wa marked verbs (in Omaha anyway) as
activity versus accomplishment (or active-accomplishment) (a la Van Valin
and LaPolla or, originally, Vendler's aktionsart).  Many accomplishment
verbs (no wa added) become activities when the wa is added.
There are also verbs which are basic activites which don't need the wa
added to make them so.  I can't remember the verb and can't find my notes
of course but I got one nice example this year of a verb I expected to
function as activity-active accomplishment but turned out to not take wa.
Doubt this sheds any light, but it works very consistently and avoid
calling this phenomenon voice or mode (Mode is way overused anyway).
Regards,
Ardis