Winnebago Vowel Length (Re: Helmbrecht Paper: Terminology 'modal prefix')

DANKER, KATHLEEN KATHLEEN_DANKER at sdstate.edu
Tue Jul 9 17:42:59 UTC 2002

On Mon, 8, Jul 2002, John Kuntz wrote:
"I suppose working with Winnebago speakers, it must be clear that
their perception is that the h is organic."

This was certainly true of the late Felix White, Sr., with whom I
worked for several years.  When I would ask him to spell out taped Ho
Chunk phrases, he would regularly reinsert h sounds that had not been
pronounced.  He wrote the h sound in the syllabary with a star symbol
which he said stood for "the breath."  This had religious
significance for him because it was connected with the breath of the
creator and the sacredness of the Ho Chunk language.

K.D. Danker