Virtues-wolves-coyotes

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jul 16 14:20:57 UTC 2002

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The connection to  yaslec^a  'to
split with the teeth'  did occur to me, but it would seem to be
applicable to almost any ravenous kind of beast.  I must go back
and check again on my source. I do agree that a connection with
Navaho or Apache seems unlikely in terms of the movement of
these groups and the geography involved.  It just struck me as an
odd name in view of the usually clear meanings of such things as
heciNs^kayapi 'mountain sheep' (the one whose horns are used to
make spoons) an nig^e saXla 'antelope' (one with the off-white
stomach).  Perhaps I shouldn't expect so much
Bruce