PS 'raccoon' [was RE: coyotes]

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 17 04:34:29 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> We need to ID the *mihka part.  I'd guess it's adjectival in function.  Does
> 'coon' have nasalization in Dakota too?  If not, then I don't think there's
> a connection.

Te wic^ha'
PreDa *wikha'

OP mikka'
Ks mikka'
Os mihka'
Qu mikka'

PDh *mi(N)hka

IO mi(N)khe'
Wi [wake'] {Reformulated from miNke' or wike' cf. treatment of 'rabbit'?}

PCh ?

PMV *wi(N)h-ka {-ka added to many animal names and other nouns}

Of iya' {< *wih-a with loss of h and epenthetic y?}
Tu wiha'

PSE *wiha

PS *wiha'

(Bob might want to check the Tutelo.  I can't make it out with my Windows
fonts!)