wild cats etc

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 18 02:37:55 UTC 2002

For whatever it's worth, the Caddo word for the little people is
yahyashattsi?. That's in the popular orthography, where h is murmured (an
interesting feature of Caddo phonetics), sh is the shibilant, ts is
properly an affricate, and ? a glottal stop. The suffix -tsi? is indeed a
diminutive, but I have no idea what yahyashat- might have come from. It's
interesting to hear that somebody once used it for white people. Maybe it
was used derisively? Those Spaniards may have been short, compared to the
Caddos.

Wally

--On Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:10 PM +0100 Anthony Grant