wild cats etc

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 18 21:19:44 UTC 2002

RE: the Dakota form for 'white man', I have heard (possibly from you, John)
that there have been folk-etymological attempts to link it up with a word
meaning ' be evil'.  I've also heard Wasichu used as a term for whites among
Indians who are not Siouan but who have an interest in Pan-Indianism.
Dakotanism (often billed as 'Lakota spirituality') has enjoyed something of
a reception in England too among New Agers.  My understanding is that many
Lakotas would be displeased at this.

Allan Taylor has a note on Trickster etc in his 'Comparative Caddoan', of
which I forget the details.

Anthony