Spiders, Trickster, and Whitemen (Re: wild cats etc)

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 20 21:53:33 UTC 2002

Dear John:

Fascinating stuff!

As I recall, Pawnee and Arikara call white people 'person white':
sahni$taaka in Arikara, tsahriksta(a)ka in Pawnee (apologies if there are
errors in these forms).  The Is^tahe form also occurs in a Wichita
vocabulary from the 1850s  to refer to some non-Indian ethnic groups.  (I'll
check up which ones; I think African-Americans and Mexicans had compound
names involving this stem.) It's probably a loan from Osage.

Anthony