ethnic terms in Lakota

rlundy at huntel.net rlundy at huntel.net
Sun Jul 21 22:25:58 UTC 2002

Members;

I'm reading your discussion re: the terms for whitemen, et. al. In
actual usage with which I am familiar, WasicuN (sorry, no
orthographically appropriate software) refers to white people but not
to "white" people. Instead, I learned that it is a contraction of
"wasi i'cuN" or "taking the fat" or "the fatty meat" which was said
to be true for the early fur-trappers and the subsequent buffalo
hunters. They are said to have killed the animal, taken the hide,
then eaten the richest, fatty and most tender meats for survival,
leaving the vast majority of the carcus to rot.

Thank you.

Richard C. Lundy