ethnic terms in Lakota

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jul 22 20:11:19 UTC 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Michael Mccafferty wrote:
> May I barge in here with a question. The term you are discussing was
> applied also to Frenchmen in the 1600s, 1700s? To Spaniards? To Britons?

I don't know as I have seen a discussion of the original application of
the Dakotan term was^i'c^uN, but the Winnebago, Omaha-Ponca, and some
other terms seem to have arisen in that way.   For example, Omaha-Ponca
'Frenchman' is wa(a)'xe ukke'dhiN 'ordinary (or common) whiteman'.

The usual terms for 'British' are comparable to Dakotan (Teton) s^agla's^a
which is probably a variant of "[le]s anglais" received from an Algonquian
source.  The Algonquian source is considered to account for the -s^a
ending, which would be the diminutive/pejorative.

I don't know the term for 'Spanish' off the top of my head, but these
generally resemble "espan~ol."

JEK