Ethnic Terms

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 23 21:26:24 UTC 2002

Regarding Tom Leonard's posting:  white foks were regarded as being
ghost-like by members of quite a few cultures, including several who learned
to their cost that these pale people weren't their ancestors who had
returned.  This is true of some Polynesian groups (the usual term for white
people in Polynesian languages means, or is interpreted as,  'people who've
come over from the skies').

I can well believe that early Dhegiha-speakers called white kaxe because
they were impressed at the kinds of wonderful things they could make, and
that later on, people who hadn't seen some of the technological tricks with
which whites often purposely set out to impress others, though that 'ghost'
was what had been meant, because 'maker' ('craftsman'??) didn't make
immediate sense to them.  It all ties in with the use of the same terms in
some languages for trickster and culture hero and also whiteman (this is the
case, I believe, in Arapaho).   As to 'black bear', the Osage or Ponca form
(I'm not sure which) has been borrowed into Comanche as a normal term for
black bear. Armagost and Wistrand-Robinson's Comanche dictionary gives the
form as wasa'pe with an underlined e.  I don't know US ecology too well:
would black bears have lived away from the original Comanche homeland, I
wonder, so as to necessitate the borrowing of the term?  Do they have blakc
bears in Utah or wherever the Comanches set out from in the 18th century?

This is a fascinating list!  I would have commented on the Helmbrecht paper
except that IJAL's arrival in Britain is so often delayed that I haven't
seen it yet!

Anthony