Ethnic Terms

Justin McBride jmcbride at kayserv.net
Wed Jul 24 15:39:05 UTC 2002

> Regarding Tom Leonard's posting:  white foks were regarded as being
> ghost-like by members of quite a few cultures, including several who
learned
> to their cost that these pale people weren't their ancestors who had
> returned.  This is true of some Polynesian groups (the usual term for
white
> people in Polynesian languages means, or is interpreted as,  'people
who've
> come over from the skies').

Dumb question...

Are ghosts in Siouan culture thought of as pale or white?  I assume that the
color of a ghost--at least in western culture--is supposed to be indicative
of the loss of color in the features of a corpse.  Obviously the wanaNghe
isn't the white-sheeted, chain-rattling, image so stylistically indigenous
to Europe.  But is it even white?

JM