Evolution Publishing and Tutelo

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Jul 28 02:02:35 UTC 2002

EP has brought out a new volume, No. 26, Minor Vocabularies of Tutelo and
Saponi, comprising Sapir, Frachtenburg, Fontaine, and Byrd, plus a useful
nine page essay by Claudio Salvucci.  The bibliography of this volume
includes Giulia Oliverio's 1996 dissertation.  I don't know if the
dissertation has been consulted yet, because there's no mention of
Dorsey's ms. lexical materials from the NAA that she consulted and
introduced to public consideration.

It is also stated that 'the most detailed source for the Tutelo-Saponi
language is an extended grammatical description by Horatio Hale'.  Of
course, that's probably still true if we have in mind primary sources and
not references.  Oliverio includes Dorsey's material along with all of the
material in the other sources reproduced in the EP series.  She does not
reproduce the text of the original sources, and in that sense and others
does not replace them as sources.  She does apply to the data a thorough
modern familiarity with the Siouan languages and she does a considerably
better analysis of Tutelo.  Oilverio 1996 clearly betters Hale 1883 as a
'grammatical study' and a lexical reference.

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz