Sacred. Deceive

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Jul 28 03:16:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, R. Rankin wrote:
> > This [*xop etc. as 'suck'] is presumably the connection in 'drunk',
>
> I wonder if it has anything to do with taking wine in communion?

That's an interesting thought, and not at all beyond modern Omaha humor,
but I don't know what the terminology of communion is, or if there is one
in Omaha.

On the other hand, (a) drinking and drunkenness (mostly with hard spirits)
were introduced, I think, well before Christian religion, (b)  communion
ritual seems to me to do a good job of erasing any connection of drinking
and inebriation, though certainly does establih one between ritual
consumption of some beverage and sanctity, and (c) I'm not sure that the
Protestant denominations among the Nebraska groups actually use wine.
Some groups of a similar nature that I've participated with in the past
use grape juice.  Of course, I suppose wine was all that was possible
before refrigeration.

JEK