Calques

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 28 09:46:43 UTC 2002

Regarding money, white metal etc., Nancy Hickerson pointed out in IJAL in
1985 that the word for money in Kiowa was actually a version of Fr.
'argent'- olho, wioth both o's open and a tonemarking that I don't remember.
Silver would have been more readily obtainable than gold for coinage/bullion
in the Plains, I guess, if only because of its lower intrinsic cost.
Silver equalling money is a calque found in languageas from Welsh to
Armenian to Malay.  And Spanish 'plata', 'silver'  being used colloquially
for money, may also have helped.

Anthony