Caddo ethnic terms

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 29 18:15:55 UTC 2002

Dear all: Given the greater proxoimity of Mexicans (of whatever oriign) to
where the Caddos lived, I suspect that it was easy enough for Caddos to
regard them as the prototypical whiote men, soimply because they'd se more
Mexicans than any other white people.  The fact that mexico was still a
Spanish colony doesn't really affect this, since it was more a question of
wherther Spanish (etc) people living in mexico identified themselves as
being 'Mexican' which might be important.  Lots of whites who had property
and salaves in the West Indies called themselves West Indians in the 18th
century.

Incidentally, there may have been Tlaxcaltec or other nahuatl influence in
the Caddo area, since the Caddo word for bread, /dashkat/, is a loan from
Nahuatl 'tortilla'.  Caddo has absorbed words froma greater range of Native
languages than any other Native language I know of.

And kanush means Frenchman in Chitimacha, for what it's worth.  They had
'espani for 'Spaniard', 'inkinish for 'English' and yah (< ja ) for
'German'.

Anthony