coyotes

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:32:25 UTC 2002

> Yes mica is interesting too.

The term "micha" seems closer to a real name as opposed to a taboo
replacement.  It is the second half of the Kaw term, "$oN-mikka-se"
'coyote'.  The $oN- portion is clearly the $uNke term for canid.  I don't
know of -mikka is a noun or adjectival verb stem.  Actually, in Kaw the
coyote is more commonly a diminutive: $oNmikkase-hinga, with the noun alone
more commonly 'wolf', but as wolves are no longer present in the southern
plains, the term now is/was used for coyote.

I've never run across a term for Wolverine.  It's a northern animal, and I
doubt there were distinct terms for it in Dhegiha languages.