andative

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 3 19:28:33 UTC 2002

Hello all...

This doesn't have anything directly to do with Siouan, but I figured this
was a good venue to ask this question.

I just got the page proofs back of an article on Shawnee I'm publishing,
where I used the term 'andative'. The editor of the journal is requesting
that I either reconsider the term or add a footnote explaining it. (I guess
he'd never seen the term before?) I'm using the term 'andative' to describe
a preverb that Carl Voegelin consistently translated in his Shawnee texts as
'go and' or 'go do X' as in the following example:

Hoowe "keh-pah-natonehaape wa-miiciyakwe".
then | we (incl.) will go look for it | what we (incl.) will eat
Then (she said) "let's go look for something to eat".

(the andative preverb here is the /pah-/.)

Now, this morpheme has no cognates I'm aware of elsewhere in Algonquian, so
there's no ready-made term I can borrow for it. Moreover, I'm not aware of
anything any linguist has ever called an andative in any other Algonquian
language. I chose to call it 'andative' since I have a memory, at least 12
years old, of being told about something in, I think, Wintuan that was
translated the same way.

Now the question: does anyone out there have any opinions of their own about
what an 'andative' is, or, alternately, is anyone aware of another name for
a morpheme like this? If 'andative' is the right name for this, it would be
very helpful if I could have a straightforward bibliographical reference
discussing an andative used the same way as this in another language (it
doesn't have to be Algonquian).

thanks much,

Dave Costa