listproc error (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 4 13:38:14 UTC 2002

Posted for Armik Mirzayan:

I would like to also re-iterate what John and Rory have already said. It
was a wonderful meeting and it was fun seeing so many Siouanists again,
and meeting others that I had not met before. I hope we all get to see
each other again next year.

> > If we ever get up that way again, may I suggest getting lost on foot in the
> > Badlands as a delightful early morning activity?  ...

I agree! Some of the hikes in the Badlands are really incredible, and you
can also look to see what interesting fossils you can spot after a
rainstorm, which typically washes a lot of mud down and exposes new
material.

> Armik and I took a route home that he recommended that led us out through
> Hot Springs via Chadron and Scottsbluff (it IS a bluff!) through the
> Nebraska National Forest.  The reports that this is an inside joke for
> something more like the Nebraska National Grasslands appear to be greatly
> exagerated.  It's at least as forested as Colorado's Black Forest (no
> connection with the Bavarian one)  and has some interesting chalk
> formations, especially at Crawfurd (sp?).  We saw some fantastic lightning
> displays south of Harrison.  Fortunately they stayed outside the car.
> One or two looked like wire trash baskets growing upward.  I think this is
> old Oglala territory and I can see why they hung out here.

There is something magical about this part of Nebraska. All 3 times that I
have been through this area I have experienced some amazing lightning
works. It's a great place to go to if you like bluffs and forest and are
really awed by watching incredible and sudden weather changes and cloud
formations. Although John and I didn't get to go in, there are also the
Agate Fossil beds just south of Harrison.

-Armik