andative

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 4 21:32:56 UTC 2002

Dear David,

I've seen the term 'andative' to mean 'go and ...' so much for so many
languages that I'm quite surprised that the editor hasn't heard of it.
It's probably that we all become the most familiar with the terms that
cover the categories of languages we look at the most. This term sometimes
has a counterpart 'come and ...' that is called a 'venitive'.

If it would help to have an example to point to, I just pulled this off
the shelf:

Mithun, Marianne 2001. Actualization patterns in grammaticalization: from
clause to locative morphology in Northern Iroquoian. _Actualization:
Linguistic Change in Progress_. Henning Andersen, ed. 143-168. Amsterdam:
John Benjamins. (There's an example on page 147m example (6)b.)

Best,

Marianne