wakhan in nominal position

Jan F. Ullrich ullrich.j at soupvm.cz
Wed Jun 5 14:19:51 UTC 2002

Dear Siouanists

In the term WakhaN' ThaN'ka the adjectival stative verb wakhan (to be
sacred/mysterious/supernatural/incomprehensible) stands in the nominal
position and is followed by another adjectival stative verb (thaN'ka – to be
big/large/great).

I have been trying to figure out why the stative verb wakhaN' isn't
nominalized here, e.g. with the wo- prefix, wo'wakhaN.
Not being able to recall or find any other examples of such nominal use of
stative verbs makes me wonder whether the term WakhaN' ThaN'ka was
introduced by missionaries. Buechel used the term in his translation of
bible into Lakhota (1939), but I do not know what Riggs used in his biblical
translation into Dakhota (probably in second half of 18th century), because
I haven't seen a copy of it.
Interestingly the early missionaries among eastern Dakotan tribes (Riggs,
Pond brothers) do not mention the term WakhaN' ThaN'ka. Instead Riggs
informs us that the Dakhotas use Ta'ku WakhaN' (Something Sacred) for
designation of deities (ta'ku = something).

Beginning with the late 19 century records, WakhaN' ThaN'ka has been used
both for Christian God as well as for the Supreme Deity of Lakhotas. Could
it be that Riggs (or other missionary) created the term WakhaN' ThaN'ka as a
translation for God, because he knew the word wakhaN to be the most sacral
one? And without knowing the grammar well enough, he put it into nomilal
position?  And the term spread and became part of the sacral language and
the Lakhotas even started using it for their own Supreme Deity?
Or am I wrong and such constructions are found elsewhere in the language?

If the assumption of missionary introduction is correct it would have to
mean that the use of wakhaN' in nominal position has been accepted, because
we can find analogies in WakhaN' Shi'ca and WakhaN' Washte'.
I have been searching all available texts and material and besides WakhaN'
ThaN'ka I found WakhaN' Shi'ca - !Bad Supernatural" and WakhaN' Washte' –
"Good Supernatural" (both in a Red Clouds speech reprinted in DeMallie:
Lakota Belief and Ritual, page 140). Big Turkey (in Lakota Tales and Texts)
also uses WakhaN' Shi'ca. Of course Buechel's dictionary has both WakhaN'
ThaN'ka and WakhaN' Shi'ca – the later being used for Devil.

Can anyone help with this?
Any hints from Dorsey's materials? He was a missionary as well, right?
Any comparative possibilities? I know some of the other Siouan tribes use
Wak(h?)aNda.

Thanks for any help.

Jan

P.S.: does anyone know where to get a copy of Riggs's Bible in Dakhota?

Jan Ullrich
www.inext.cz/siouan

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.