=(b)(i) in Dhegiha

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Wed Jun 5 21:32:40 UTC 2002

Yes, I just pulled out my copy of the handout too, and it's got a marginal
scribble (note made while Linda was talking) "kta = irrealis".  The kta
examples are all negative except with matrix verbs "try" and "promise", but
not all of the negative examples have kta, as John shows below.
Tense/time appears to be irrelevant.   So we were both wrong...  ah,
memory!
Catherine

                      Koontz John E
                      <John.Koontz at colorad        To:       siouan at lists.colorado.edu
                      o.edu>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Re: =(b)(i) in Dhegiha
                      owner-siouan at lists.c
                      olorado.edu

                      06/04/02 08:14 PM
                      Please respond to
                      siouan

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC wrote:
> If I remember correctly the pi vs. kta split in Linda's Assiniboine data
> was positive/negative (or realized/unrealized or some such), not
> present/past.

My apologies in advance to Linda in case I misrepresent anything.  I now
have the handout before me, though not the paper.  The examples were:

che'yaka 'should, must do'
                   pi  should be respected
                       [Linda thought this example should be rejected.]

c?iN'ka 'to want'  pi  want to go/know
                   kta [didn't want to go (? written in by me
                        and may be misconstrued)]
                       don't want to take

snokya 'to know'   pi  don't know how to do

s^kaN' 'try to do' kta tried to fight
                       even tried to sit beside

thawuN'khas^iN 'hate to do'
                   pi  hates to move around
                   pi  hate to die

was^te'naz 'like to do'
                   pi  like to eat

waho'ya 'promise'  kta promised to do

wayu'phi 'be skilled at'
                   pi  don't know how to drive

I've forgotten how Linda characterized this, but I think it must be
something like pi for intention, and kta for completed/avoided

JEK