symbol sets and rattlesnake.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jun 11 15:43:44 UTC 2002

I guess we'd best go back to the 26 letters of the English alphabet plus the
usual diacritics like ~ (tilde) and ^ (circumflex) for our net Siouan.  It
occurs to me that our European readers may not display $ as a dollar sign
but rather as a Euro sign, pound sign or some other currency.  I guess I'll

> The Miami-Illinois name for the Massasauga (the smaller of the two
species of rattlesnakes in that area) is /$iih$iikwia/ ($ = s-hacek).

For what it's worth, s^ekki looks like a loan to me too.

Kansa we'c?a s^ekku' (where u is u-umlaut).

but Quapaw we's?a-xti  'snake+intensifier' "real snake".