andative

Linda A Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Tue Jun 11 16:37:13 UTC 2002

I forwarded one of the early messeges in this series to Bob Botne in the
Linguistics dept. here at IU, who works extensively with "come" and "go"
in African languages and got these responses (and permission to share them
with you). He also gave me an excellent reference on the subject:

Wilkins, David P. and Debora Hill. "When 'go' means 'come': Questioning
the basicness of basic motion verbs" In Cognitive Linguistics 6-2/3(1995),
209-259.

1.
"I can answer the question that was raised about the andative. It was
coined by Bernd Heine and his group in Cologne in their work on
grammaticalization and African languages. I've used it with the languages
I work on as well. It comes from Italian andare 'walk, go'. Thilo
Schadeberg, a Latinate Bantu scholar, despises the term since it's not
based on Latin. He coined the term itive for the same thing, from the
Latin verb for 'go'. Both of these are the counterpart of the ventive (or
venitive for some people) 'come'.

Bob"

2.
"As for the origins of andative, I need to qualify what I said from home.
The earliest attested source that I have at hand for "andative" is
Lictenberk's 1991 article in Language 67, "Semantic change and
heterosemy". Bernd Heine, I believe, coined the term, but I can't find a
published use of it before 1993 in Conceptual Shift: A Lexicon of
Grammaticalization Terms (Afrikanistische Arbeitspapiere 34/35). It has
been used for quite awhile in African linguistics.

I do have a reference to Mithun (1988) who may have used the term with
respect to Iroquois:

Mithun, Marianne. 1988. The Grammaticalization of Coordination.
In: Haiman, John, and Sandra Thompson. (eds.) Clause Combining in Grammar
and Discourse

Bob"