symbol sets in British perspective

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 12 17:35:00 UTC 2002

Colleagues:

Yes, we do get $ here - it's above the numeral 4 on my keyboard.  Does £, above 3 here, come out as a pound sign?  I've got quite used to dealing with email data sent in numerous ad hoc codes adapted to the requirements of the qwerty keyboard.  As long as a code is used which we can all agree on, the actual forms used shouldn't be too troublesome.  (I can imagine some knotty problems with cases such as nasalised stressed vowels in Dhegiha.)

Terry Kaufman (whose table of Siuouan correspondences dates from the 1960s and is supposed to be really good) used to use 7 for glottal stop and 9 for angma/eng, which are fine as long as one knows what to look for.

I tried to get on the iroquoian list which JEK mentioned an never got a response.  As a casual Caddoanist, I'd certainly be keen to participate or at least 'lurk' on such a list.  In fact, I'm surprised that there aren't more lists of this sort in general, though most of them get spanmmed fairly swiftly.  (I tuned out of an Austronesian list once one of the participants started putting large chunks of his political/erotic novel on the list every weekend.)

Anthony