pound signs

Carolyn Quintero cqcqcq at pgtv.net
Thu Jun 13 18:57:12 UTC 2002

I've noticed that in the US on company phone lines where I often listen in
Spanish, the scrunch-hash-pound sign is referred to as "el signo de numero",
but in English as "the pound sign" in the corresponding set of instructions.
This sign isn't really used all that much for "number" in Spanish, though.
I guess they just couldn't think of any other way of describing it than "the
number sign", at least a better choice than rhomboid/diamond, or "pound"
which for sure wouldn't mean anything to Spanish speakers.
Carolyn