Underwater Cat

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Jun 17 19:17:05 UTC 2002

There are cosmogonic parallels, as the Underwater Cat and the snake are
constellated within the same archetypal field--long things. Long tails,
long bodies.

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Koontz John E wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Michael Mccafferty wrote:
> > Does Siouan, or for that matter Muskogean, cosmology have the Underwater
> > Panther, Underwater Cat, characteristic of Algonquian and Iroquoian?
>
> Michael's question reminds me that it might be informative in regard to
> Siouan terms for 'sacred', 'snake', 'watermonster', etc., to look at
> Algonquian usage with manitou, which I think has some semantic parallels.
> I don't know if there are any grammatical parallels.

Michael McCafferty
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Talking is often a torment for me, and I
need many days of silence to recover from the futility of words.
                                                       C.G. Jung

"...as a dog howls at the moon, I talk."
                                    Rumi