=(b)(i) in Dhegiha

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 12:26:55 UTC 2002

I remember thinking during our meeting, when speaking about the
modal/aspectual type verb that these are commonly verbs like 'sit',
'stand', 'wish', 'have', 'be' etc.  Both Arabic and Persian have
examples of these for present continuous and Lakota/Dakota as
mentioned uses haN or yaNka.  An exception to this is in Uyghur,
which I was working on last year for a course, where they use the
verb atmaq 'to shoot' to produce a participle form.  I can't quite
remember how it goes but it is something like elivatqan idim 'I had
taken'  al>el 'take', -ip>-iv 'participle former', at 'shoot', -qan
'completive suffix'  id- 'past' -im 'I'.
	I remember thinking that this is a very 'archery centred'
language.  However others may know of this suffix and prove me
wrong.

Bruce