Pine and the List

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 26 04:00:00 UTC 2002

A little testing as the behest of Kathy Shea suggests that Unix-based
users of Pine can interact better with Windows based recipients of the
list by going to the main menu > setup > config and scrolling down to the
bottom of the config options to set the character set to US-ASCII.  I do
not know if this really changes the font, or just causes Pine to generate
mail headers that claim this is occurring.

Without this folks at KU were seeing letters from myself (and they also
mention Ardis) as a message from the system in the body of the letter and
the letter itself as an attachment.  The text in the attachment was
difficult to read - none of the usual Windows attachments could handle it.

It is not clear to me whether this problem arises when the reader is
Outlook or Outlook Express, or when the site mail hander is the Microsoft
product (in some versions).  The discussion of this at www.google.com was
rather confusing.

Anyway, if you use Pine, please consider making this change.