Virtues

Jimm G GoodTracks jggoodtracks at juno.com
Thu Jun 27 17:40:53 UTC 2002

Among Ioway-Otoe traditional culture, any enemy (ukihje) who made it into
the village and entered the home of an IOM was considered to have safe
refuge, and was fed & offered hospitality.  In the same manner, any
aggrieved IOM charged with offening another, could seek refuge & sanctity
of the Sacred Pipe, asking that it be offered to the threatening
distressed person(s), whom would be obligated to accept it.  As such,
early day explorers & traders used/ displayed a Sacred Pipe to various
unknown tribes, to secure safe passage.
In a family way, a child who makes it to the safe refuge of the
grandparent, would not be further hassled by the parent.
nat^udan = to pity (heart depressed towards)
Nat^u'hinradan	=  You pity me.
Nat^u'hindanñye =  I am pitied (Literally:  "they pity me").
Nat^u'rigradan	=  I pity you, my own one.
Nat^u'kikidanwi	=  They (dual) pity one another.