wakhan in nominal position

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 6 14:51:31 UTC 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 bi1 at soas.ac.uk wrote:
> This must be the origin of Lakota  was^os^e 'brave warrior' whci I
> think Buechel glosses as 'an old word'.

Yes, this is at least a Mississippi Valley cognate set, and Dakota also
has a descendent term, though I don't know, off hand, if it is inflected
as a stative.

The association with generosity is usually explained as lacking fear of
poverty, which suggests that courage is the root concept, but there are
various ways of conceptualizing associations of virtues like courage and
generosity.