shooting auxiliary

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 14:05:32 UTC 2002

Just in case anyone was iinterested in my Altaic interlude, I have
consulted my notes and find that the atmaq 'shoot' auxiliary forms
continuatives as in :
oquvati men<oq-up +at+ men 'I read, am reading'
oquvaqtmaymen 'I am not reading'
oquvatqan idim <opq-up +at+qan id+im 'I was reading'
oquvatqanda <oq-up +at+qan+da 'while reading'

The corresponding perfective suffix is -et from etmek 'to finish',
giving

oquvetken idim < oq-up +et +ken id+im 'I had read'
					read -ip participilizer  +finish + participle past+I

This is mainly for Katheryn Rudin's benefit.  irinqizge yuz minq
selam

Bruce

remember how it goes but it is something like elivatqan idim 'I had
taken'  al>el 'take', -ip>-iv 'participle former', at 'shoot', -qan
'completive suffix'  id- 'past' -im 'I'.
	I remember thinking that this is a very 'archery centred'
language.  However others may know of this suffix and prove me
wrong.

Bruce

On 3 Jun 2002, at 13:07, Koontz John E wrote:

> At the meeting Linda Cumberland described a class of Assiniboine verbs
> which are characterized by embedding same subject complements that require
> =pi on the embedded clause verb in the present and =ktA in the past.  The
> embedded verb has no pronominal prefix.  These verbs include forms like
> 'want' and 'like to/don't like to'.  I don't recall the precise list at
> the moment.  I hope Linda will comment further when she has time, since
> she is looking for similar cases and suggestions of additional candidate
> verbs to look at.

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies
SOAS