Virtues

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 27 17:27:54 UTC 2002

A little editing of my composition:

> Thanks, Bruce!  This seems like a plausible suggesion.  With that
> hint, I recall that the Omaha-Ponca texts refer the feeding of
> strangers or enemies frequently[,] as a sign that they were [to be]
> treated well and no[t] killed. A variety of terms are used:

> 'To be merciful; to pity' is dha?e=...dhe (a causative).

I looked for a cognate in Dakotan, and found only yak?e 'wolf', which
matches dha?e in form, but not very well in meaning.   I believe that
cognates of *rak?e=...re are widespread in Dhegiha.  I supposed it might
be *rax?e=...re - I'd have to check the Quapaw form.  The rest merge *x?
and *k? as k?, which becomes ? in OP.  .

JEK