Winnebago -ga in Kinterms

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Mar 1 16:34:07 UTC 2002

I've noticed before that certain Winnebago nouns take an appended -ga.
For example, was^c^iNiNk' 'rabbit', but was^c^iNge'ga 'the Rabbit'.  (I
think I've remembered the actual noun correctly.)  Notice that the final
-e lost historically resurfaces in this form.  It seems to me that the
noun for '(agency) store-keeper' also has such a -ga.

A number of kin terms also take -ga in various contexts.  I was wondering
if this might not account for deega 'uncle' vs. Teton lek(s^i) or
Omaha-Ponca negi.  That is, deega is deek + ga?