Me Hi

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 20 23:34:07 UTC 2002

Hi Carolyn,

You don't know me--my name is David Kaufman and I'm now a member of SSILA as
well as of John's Siouan list.  I'm finishing my MA Linguistics here at San
José State in California.  I'm considering pursuing a Ph.D. in Linguistics.
I'm actually going next week to Chicago to meet with John Boyle and the head
of the dept. at U. of Chicago.  I've been studying Hidatsa, and John and I
have been in email contact as he patiently answers my gazillion questions!
So I wanted to go back and visit him and learn more about what he's doing
for his Ph.D. and field work with Hidatsa.

The reason I'm emailing you is because I understand you are one of the few
(perhaps the ONLY?) person working on Osage.  I am a small part Osage (mixed
with a huge part European) and have been interested in trying to get more
info on the language.  John mentioned that you did a dissertation on it.
I'm wondering how I can get a copy of your dissertation and perhaps whatever
other materials you may have on the language.

Both John Boyle and John Koontz have indicated the need for someone to work
on Winnebago, and I have expressed my interest in the possibility of working
on it myself, hopefully as part of a Ph.D. dissertation.  I still need to
take the GRE and actually apply to programs, but I am trying to meet people
and make connections and get info about the different programs.  So far,
Chicago and Boulder both sound quite promising!

I'd appreciate whatever information or advice you can offer me about Osage
and Native American studies in general.  And if you have any info about
Ph.D. programs where you live, please let me know.  I'll have my phone and
email info at the end of this email.  (I'm also listed in the SSILA member
directory.)  Thank you so much!

Dave Kaufman
MA Linguistics (May 2002)
San José State University
Phone: 408-266-8946
Email: dvklinguist at hotmail.com

>From: "Carolyn Quintero" <cqcqcq at pgtv.net>
>To: <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
>Subject: Re: Me Hi
>Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:52:40 -0600
>
>Just for fun, here's my attempt at what the Osage of John's spring wish
>would be.  The first part in parenthesis is based on one occurence I've
>seen
>of wie miNks^e used like 'chez moi' in French.
>
>[dhie niNks^e] pe hidhe apa ska, dhaaNce dhaliN dhihkoNbra
>Carolyn
>PS The desert in west Texas turned green in the last two days.

Check out my personal web site:
http://dvklinguist.homestead.com/Homepage1.html