A Metaphorical Suggestion

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 21 18:39:34 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Ardis R Eschenberg wrote:
> In my dissertation, I describe and believe I have evidence for the
> explanation between ama being used with motion involving a scene shift
> while akHa is used with motion in the same general setting.  I gave a few
> examples of this in my Colorado talk.  It can be thought of as marked
> motion vs. unmarked motion. Similarly, akHa tends to be used when number
> is evident from other words/morphemes and ama is used itself to mark
> plural number (when there are no other markers such as an overt number).
> This can also be thought of as marked and unmarked.

So, I take it that you argue that akha is unmarked generally, and that ama
specificially marks plurality (when not otherwise marked) and movement
(when noted to invoke a change of scene)?  I take it that the change of
scene involves all the referents, so that the set of referents (other than
the ama NP) should change, or, in some cases, everybody should be
translated to another location or join another group?  Also, it sounds as
if, perhaps, a change of scene could occur with ama-marking if there is no
movement (or is novement necessary?). I assume ama-marking of plurality
can occur without a change of scene?

Of course, it's very interesting having plural marking used with the more
marked cases - it's a parallel with plural marking being used (in part) to
code proximateness.

JEK