A Mysterious Morpheme *hi(N)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Mar 3 07:13:19 UTC 2002

> In Lakxota we say, hingnaku, hingnatxun,
> Violet

My source was Buechel, but I reproduced it from memory.  Buechel has
higna' 'a husband' (identified as n. obs in the English side - which may
mean that he found it in Riggs, but couldn't get anyone he knew to accept
it), with the possessed forms given as mihigna, nihigna, hignaka (a
misprint for hugnaku, think).  Higna'ku 'her husband' is also listed as a
headword.  Higna't[h]uN (actually listed with oN in the usual way for
Buechel) (Violet's hingnatxun in her orthography) is given as 'to have a
husband'.  Riggs has hihna 'a husband', hihnaku 'her husband', and also
hihnat[h]uN 'to have a husband, be married' (I suspect Violet was thinking
of a definition in this form).  He also lists higna (including hignaku) as
Teton forms.  Williams just givesn hihnaku.  I'd swear I've seen the
nasalized variant Violet cites somewhere, too, but I can't relocate it at
the moment, which puzzles me, because I don't have that many possible