FW: UG abandoned by Chomsky ?

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Sat Mar 30 20:58:21 UTC 2002

> >In an interesting review article John Searle applauds Noam Chomsky's
abandonment of the notion of universal grammar and implicit acknowledgement
that his linguistic revolution has not succeeded.

> The article is in the 28Feb02 issue of the _New York Review > of Books_
(pp. 33-36.  It is a review of Chomsky's _New  Horizons in the Study of
Language and the Mind_ (Cambridge U Press, 230pp., $60, $20 paper).

Gah!  So now I'm going to have to buy this book, which violates my "Avoid
Chomsky" principle.  (I deal better with those who translate Chomsky's work
into something I can understand. <grin>)

I think I'm going to curl up into a fetal ball and shake now, for surely
there is freezing rain in hell.  ;)

Shannon