Schools?

Henning Garvin hhgarvin at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 18:36:52 UTC 2002

Greetings to all-

First an introduction.  My name is Henning Garvin and I am a Senior in
Linguistics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  I am also an enrolled
member of the Ho-Chunk Nation (Wisconsin Winnebago if you are unfamiliar
with the name switch).  If you haven't guessed, my motives for studying
linguistics are to further study our language and provide more documentation
and literature where there is an apparent lack.  My main priority is to
provide another tool which can be used to help preserve our language, with a
secondary emphasis on adding to the vast collection of linguistic theory and
knowledge throughout the world.

I have contacted a few of you, but I thought I would ask this generic
academic question across the board.  I am taking a year off to work with our
Language division after graduation, but I will then be interested in
attending graduate school.  Would you be so kind as to make a few
reccomendations?  I am seriously looking at UC-Boulder and Indiana U, but I
know there are other options out there.  I would preferably like to work
with someone concentrating on Mississippi Valley Siouan, and if possible
Chiwere, but I also realize that anyone with a strong background in Siouan
languages or language documentation in general would be a tremendous asset
to my studies.  Thank you for entertaining my questions.

Henning Garvin
Anthropology/Linguistics
University of Wisconsin-Madison
hhgarvin at hotmail.com