Lakota names for other people

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 08:59:05 UTC 2002

Does anyone have any explanation for the names Susuni
'Shoshone' and ChiNcakhiza 'Apache'. Is Susuni and Shoshone the
name of the people for themselves, because I have seen other
native names for them.  If not, presumably we got Shoshone from
Susuni, which looks like an uncomplementary epithet in Lakota.
ChiNcakhiza seems to be formed from ChiNca 'child' and Khiza
'attack', but isn't readily interpretable. Usually Lakota names for
others are fairly transparent. Any Lakotas ot Lakotanists on the
line who might know?

Bruce

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies