Schools?

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Tue Nov 19 21:53:36 UTC 2002

Dear Mr. Garvin,

The linguistics degree programs at the Univ of Colo in Boulder don't
single out either Native American studies or language preservation/revival
as areas of specialization for organized degree plans, but we certainly
would welcome a chance to discuss with you what you want.  The department
focus here is on "spoken language", which covers everything from natural
language interaction with computers to conversational analysis to old
fashioned descriptive linguistics of unwritten languages, therefore
necessarily using spoken data. One favorite corpus used by many of our
students is a few hundred hours of transcribed telephone conversations,
exploring exactly how people really do manage to cooperate and
communicate when the only information source is sound waves.  We have
several students who are working on Native American languages one way or
another, and we do have a good library and my knowledge of both Siouan and
language pedagogy.  I'm not planning to retire for a few more years.  We
encourage a rapid plunge into a research program just as soon as you can
find one, filling in the theoretical and methodological holes around
that program as you go.

Please let me know if you have questions that the dept. web site doesn't
answer, or if you'd like to come for an exploratory visit sometime.

David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado