synchronic and diachronic "explanation".

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 1 15:47:03 UTC 2002

Catherine has raised a voice of reason, of course -- languages do change,
and when they change it's often in predictable directions.  But to insist
that the ONLY thing children learning a language can use for tools is
universal grammar is an extreme position that does not take very much
effort to refute.  People are very good at learning lists for both
irregular paradigms and grammatical constructions.

And I would argue that naive speakers of a language DO know the history of
their language in the same sense that they "know" the grammar rules that
apply to their language: because they have learned patterns and can
generalize from them, they BEHAVE AS IF they had that knowledge, even when
they can't articulate it.  English speakers know about umlauted plurals
and demonstrate that knowledge every time they say "geese" or "feet".
I have just shown my undergraduates once again
that they know about verb raising to I in English for the copula because
they prefer "she always works hard" but "she is always on time", with
"always" on different sides of the conjugated verb depending on what the
verb is.  That's no different, to my mind, than the "knowledge" that wicha
precedes uNk and uNk precedes both ya and ni.

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB