Fw: Error Condition Re: Re: transitivity, etc,

John Boyle jpboyle at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 2 00:36:43 UTC 2002

Hi All,

I don't think 'subject' is a part of UG at lease in a GB/MP framework
(although it is in a LFG/RG framework).  As a matter of fact, the
primacy of grammatical relations (subject, object, indirect object,
etc.) is denied in GB/MP.  These relations are derived from other
primitives.  There properties emerge from various components of the
grammar (structural position, case, theta-theory, etc.)  There should
be no rule/transformation that refers to "subject" that can't be
formulated in terms of "agent" (theta-role) or "higest NP in the
clause" (position) or "nominative" (case). For more on this see James
McCloskey's article on subjects in Haegeman's 1999 Elements of
Grammar.  It is a good overview of all of the relevant arguments and
decompositions.
	I'm not quite sure how to look at these types of double
stative verbs, but we should be able to come up with something.

--John